Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Credit Cards

Today I was checking in on my Quicken and thought I would see how my credit card balances looked since Im trying so hard to pay them off. One of them had a charge on it and I haven't been using my cards at all. So of course I called the company to figure out what the deal was. Well apparently its a finance charge because I have a balance. WHAT??? Geez what a rip off. So I figured while I was on the phone I should just go ahead and cancel the card. I did, and it felt so good I called and cancelled one more card (that leaves me only one left).

Now the only card I have left is almost paid off so I figure I will keep that one for emergencies. I need to sit down and look carefully at my cards and see if it makes more sense to transfer the balances from the those Im trying to pay off to cards with less interest rates. Thats how I got into this mess of having three cards in the begin with though so we will have to see. Maybe I will get some time to sit with my Aunt who is an accountant and she can help me with that mess.

Well cancelling the cards, laundry and cleaning the kitchen are all I got done today and of course I have work stuff and homework to do tomorrow so we will see how it goes. I'm probably going to sneak to the store and do some shopping in there tomorrow anyway. Now that I know Josie is a girl I feel the desperate need to buy her something, lol. Though Im sure she needs nothing thanks to Kayla's hand-me-downs. I'm trying hard to not buy her anything until closer to her birth because the earlier I start the more I buy and I really need to use my money for other things :(. We will see how well I do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol good luck controlling yourself shopaholic! Just keep in mind Josie will have PLENTY of really cute, still new looking hand me downs from your Kayla shopping the past two and half years! She really doesn't need anything at all lol! I felt the same way though. As soon as I found out I had to go to Gymboree lol! But I feel better now. Plus I get to go through all Kayla's hand me downs and thats gonna be fun. Wish you were here, we would have a blast doing that together! So many memories!!!

jmt said...

Just FYI - for credit score purposes...it's actually better to pay off your balances but DON'T cancel the cards. If your credit score is shown in good standing with available credit but no balances...it's good points for you. Closing lines of credit, whether you initiate it or the company does, is actually a sort of "knock" on your credit score. Just something to think about before you cancel the next one. :)