Sunday, September 21, 2008

First Night On My Own and Purple Babies!

Last night I was supposed to be on orientation for one last night but when I got there we were so busy they gave me my own assignment (3 babies, which is the most one person gets). Technically it was a 'easy' assignment because all three of the babies were gavage only feeding and didn't need hands on care except every 3 hours. But when you spread that out over 3 babies its a bit more busy than it sounds.

Oh and did I mention that one of my babies was naughty naughty naughty all night long!? He had multiple As&Bs (Apnea & Bradycardia) of which about half of them required stimulation for him to remember to start breathing again. So sometimes I would just get out of his bed and I would have to turn around and get right back in (an isolette) and wake him up then get him resettled. I didn't have any babies like that during orientation so it was pretty overwhelming. Thank goodness all the nurses were great and would pop in and see if I needed help (and I did). Especially after I told them once that I was pretty overwhelmed and if they could help one nurse kept popping in and asking if I was okay and helping out with ideas on what might work.

This lovely baby (cute as heck!) did get the whole talking to a doctor at 5am out of the way on my first night though so now hopefully I won't dread that as much from now on. The doctors don't intimidate me during the day but who wants to call them in the middle of the night and wake them up?

Tonight will be my second night on my own and my last night of four in a row. So I'm crossing my fingers to see how it goes!

1 comment:

Alayna's Creations said...

sounds like an interesting first night. Good luck again tonight!