Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My Grandpa

My family hasn't spoken to my grandpa (my mom's real dad) in about 10 years due to family drama. We have been hearing for a while that he had cancer. We heard that he really wasn't doing well and that he was in a hospital about an hour from my mom. She went back and forth for a long time trying to decide if she wanted to see him (and if he would even want her to come). On Wednesday of last week she decided to go and see him. It sounded like they had a good visit and got some things off their chests.

He went home on Thursday with Hospice care (though not everyone believed he was really dying). On Friday my family went to see him. Im really glad I did, I could tell he was really happy to see us all. He was hugging us all over and over which was very unlike him.

He took a turn for the worst on Monday-though I didnt know it until Tuesday afternoon. My mom stayed the night over there to be with him. Last night she called me to ask me a question about his meds. I offered to go out there and meet with the Hospice nurse so that I could administer his meds through his port since he could no longer swallow pills. Between the time she called me and when I was supposed to leave (about 30 minutes) he ended up passing away.

He went through all the stages of dying very quickly. Im just glad he was able to go peacefully. Now the family is working on the funeral arrangements, which Im assuming will be on Friday or Saturday.

Death is always sad, but Im glad he is no longer suffering

No comments: