Friday, July 4, 2008

Fourth of July

This year we had a very 'un-traditional' fourth with my family. Fireworks weren't even on the list for me at all.

I spent the day with Brandon and Kim just hanging out until 5 when Brandon and I went to go see my grandpa who we haven't seen in about 7-8 years. Due to a falling out (love the family drama!), of course the falling out was among the 'adults' so I had no issues going to see him. He has many health issues and came home on hospice which is why fences were finally mended. I hate it when that's whats necessary for people to come together.

My brother and I had only planned to stay an hour but we ended up staying 3. I'm really glad I got to go. My grandpa was really glad to see us I could tell. Plus being a nurse I was able to offer a few suggestions to make him more comfortable. Including encouraging him to use his pain medicine rather than trying to be stoic and not use it. When I was in nursing school one of my instructors said something that I have continued to repeat to my patients "you don't get a special badge in heaven for not taking the meds". It never fails to make people smile and generally helps them feel better about using their meds appropriately.

After we left there (we had to go pick up Kim who had managed to lock herself out of Brandon's house without her keys so she couldn't leave) we saw a few illegal fireworks on the way home but they weren't something we really cared about.

We were supposed to go to my brother's friends house but we left to late to make it over there. So we ended up going to the movies and seeing Hancock. What a crazy movie! Its nothing like we expected from the previews. I'm still not sure if I liked it or not. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either.

What a strange holiday! But for me fulfilling since I got to go see my grandpa that I otherwise wouldn't have gotten too. I also offered to go sit with him if the family he is staying with needed any help.

1 comment:

Julia said...

That's awesome that you got to see your grandpa. Those types of family drama are always kind of sad. You see it way too often in families and children get involved :( But you saw him and I bet it brightened his day.